Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Random Stuff

First I want to say thank you for all the wonderful advice on the toilet training topic. You are all great!

Noah has had an awesome week. His therapy sessions went better than I had expected. He even reached a few milestones.

Physical Therapy
Noah had PT last Tuesday and his therapist, Miss Laurie, finally got Noah to jump. With both feet off the ground at the same time! We all cheered (even Noah). He was so pleased with himself.

Occupational Therapy
On Friday we saw Noelle, his OT. I, once again, brought up the issue with him not walking outside when there is snow on the ground. She was already prepared. She and Noah took their shoes off and stuck their feet in bins of different things (rice, corn, beans). Noah actually seemed to enjoy it. Then, Noelle covered the floor in shaving cream and they walked in that. Noah LOVED this. I was really surprised because he is normally a neat freak. Then, she brought in a HUGE bin of snow from outside. Noah was a little hesitant, but eventually they made snowballs and snowmen. Finally, we all went outside and played in the snow! Noah actually didn't seem to mind it much. At least he didn't ask to be carried. So far, so good. (He does still want carried into school, but I think that is more of a separation issue.)

Speech Therapy
Noah saw Miss Emily on Friday, too. He did really well. We are still working on sequencing and wh-questions. Noah did something that surprised us, though. At the end of his sessions, Noah always wants to play with the bubbles (sound familiar?) and usually he gets rather upset when he has to put them away. Miss Emily always gives him a warning and says, "one more time and then we are all done". When she was done instead of crying, Noah looked at her and said, "We're all done. Time to go. " Neither of us could believe it! I was so proud of him!

School
School was closed all last week (and most of the week before) because of the snow, so I was kind of nervous about how he would handle going back after over a two-week hiatus. I shouldn't have worried. He did cry when I dropped him off Monday and had to be carried into his classroom, but when I picked him up his aide and teacher both said that he had a great day. On the way home, I was looking through his valentines with him and asking him, "do you like E? Do you play with N?" things like that. When I asked him, "Do you play with K?" Noah looked at me and said, "He beat Noah. He beat my back. He said sorry." Oh My!! This about floored me. Normally, Noah doesn't share anything about school. I can't believe how far he has come.

Yesterday was even better. When I picked him up his teacher told me that he had the best day so far! He even asked to go potty and used the toilet like everyone else. (He made somewhat of a mess, but who cares!) Everyone was so excited for him! He has went two days without any behavior reports being sent home. I think that's a record for him!

I was really worried when he first started that so many hours at school would be too much (he goes 5 1/2 hrs a day, 4 days a week), but he seems to be really thriving and making huge gains there. I miss him when he is at school, but I guess I have to do what is best for him. He just seems so little!

So, as you can see, this has been a really good week. Can't wait to see what the next week brings!

6 comments:

One Mom said...

Oh my gosh, is this awesome or what? I can't believe the leaps and bounds your little man is making, and I have to say your new picture at the top of your page is *gorgeous*.

I've fallen behind on my blog-reading, and am procrastinating on the whole catching up part...but BOY am I glad I saw this post. Hooray for Noah (and his momma)!!!

Amanda said...

Way to go Noah!

Great to hear you have such a hands on up for it OT

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Noah!

I wish I had a running log of accomplishments at this age. It will be so fun for you to look back on one day.

kathleen said...

what great milestones..isn't it amazing how from one week to the next, they can take such huge leaps? :)

Chelli said...

One Mom,
Thanks :) It is an older picture from when hew was about 15 months old. It is one of my favorites.

Blackknightsbrood,
I'm terrible about keeping track of every little milestone. I don't know where I'm going to keep all the notebooks!

kathleen,
It is amazing! Sometimes it seems as if they can make huge leaps from one day to the next!

Thank you all for stopping by!

Chelli said...

Amanda,
Yes, we are very lucky to have found his OT. She is great with Noah and Noah adores her.