Sunday, March 7, 2010

Whining

Noah's sleeping. The house is quiet. I should be napping with him. The last two weeks have been a roller coaster ride. Up, down, around. In, out, and back again. Do I sound bitter, or what? And it really hasn't been that bad. It's just.....been.

Noah had two REALLY good weeks at school. We had two reports. Minor things really. Last week, he got the "quiet as a mouse" award. Huh? My kid? Big surprise there. On Thursday, less than 20 minutes after dropping him off at school, we got a call from the school nurse. "Noah has a fever of 100.2 and he's really whiny. He just wants to be held and rocked. Could you come get him?" She also went on to tell us how good he is about taking his medicine for her at lunch (he takes 3 meds at lunch). She said that if she is late getting there, he is waiting on her. Pretty cute, but pretty sad too. When I picked him up, he was grabbing his throat and saying his mouth hurt. He ran a fever of about 102 Thursday and Friday. On Friday night, his fever hit 104. Needless to say, we ended up in the ER. He has tonsillitis. Wonderful. He is doing better now. No fever yesterday or today. I'm just worried about all the antibiotics he has been on lately. Poor kid.

He has been on hiatus from PT and OT the last two weeks. Apparently he hit his limit of OT/PT visits for the year. His new year doesn't start until April 29th. I think we have everything worked out and he should be able to start back on Tuesday. It has been so sad to go to his speech appointments because we have to drive past his OT and PT building and Noah always cries and says, "I wanna go see Noelle. I want Noelle." He really loves his OT. He's even been asking about Miss Laurie, his PT. Can't wait to see his reaction when he sees Noelle again.

I know being sick and the change in routine and not feeling well is really getting to him. He is so cranky and irritable. He's been crying way more than usual and has been more aggressive toward himself and others. He's back to hitting himself or the dog or me when he is upset. He's also back to head-butting and head banging. I was so sure we had seen the last of those. I just want things to get back to our normal. I just want my little guy to be the happy kid I am used to having around.

We had a support group meeting on Monday. It was nice. I love those people. They are like a second family to me. This journey would be so much harder without the wonderful people that I have met online and through the support group, Thanks for being here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does sound like a roller coaster week! Hang in there.

(it's great that he loves and can ask for his OT by name! We were definitely not there at his age).

Chelli said...

blackknightsbrood,

Thanks! Yeah, he definitely loves his OT. He's come a long way over the last year.

One Mom said...

Hope your little man is getting back to his normal...it sure is tough to watch regressions like that, especially when you are sure you'd seen the last of the behaviors. Sending big hugs your way, lady.

Amanda said...

We've had tonsillitis too - me and Scrumpy, both on the same antibiotics (she's growing up so fast!) Not a good week at all as we had simultaneous tummy bugs all round too.

Great to hear Noah loves his therapists and I'm looking forward to hearing his next adventures

Chelli said...

Amanda,
Sorry to hear that you and Scrumpy have been ill. Hope that you feel better quickly!

One Mom,
Noah is definitely getting back to his normal. We're still seeing some aggressiveness, but not nearly as much. Thanks!