Monday, February 15, 2010

Ramblings

I guess I am not doing a very good job of blogging like I should, but things have been somewhat drab around here. We have been fighting the winter blahs. Noah has yet another ear infection and a nasty winter cold. Antibiotics and breathing treatments have been making things much easier though. He didn’t manage to make it to school at all last week. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were all snow days and then Thursday started with a fever. Noah (okay, maybe not Noah, more likely Mama) was really disappointed to miss his classroom Valentine’s Day party. Daddy took his invitations into his classmates, though. They were Cars valentines, of course. It was either Cars or Transformers. We decided on Cars. We missed physical therapy on Tuesday because of the weather. We also missed speech and occupational therapy on Friday, but that’s okay. Hopefully, we will make it there this week.

Sometimes Noah says the funniest things. One of my favorites from the past week is:

Me: I love you, Noah.
Noah: I love you, Mama.
Me: Silly boy.
Noah: Silly girl.


At least he’s beginning to understand gender! Now if I can just get him to quit calling every adult male “a Dad” and every adult female “a Mom”, I’ll be good to go!

Noah also makes up his own words. One pretty common one around our house is “scoove it”. Yep…it’s Noah-ish. It’s a combination of “scoot over” and “move it”. I love it!

We’ve been dealing with a few issues around here lately. One of them is definitely sensory-related, but the other two I am not so sure what those are about.

First, we’re back to fighting during baths. Noah is back to screaming bloody murder when his hair is being washed. No matter what I do or how gentle I am or how fun I try to make it, he has a fit. He had been doing really well, but now he’s having issues with that again. Maybe once he is over all the winter sickies, he will be back to being okay with it. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Second, Noah absolutely refuses to set foot in the snow. Not sure what is up with that, but he seems to be absolutely terrified of walking in the snow. The only thing that we can guess is that Daddy fell on the ice a couple of weeks ago and now Noah is afraid of falling, too. Kind of puts a damper on taking him sledding, considering we’ve got like a foot of snow on the ground! Gonna have to work on this one, so that we can build a snowman and go sledding before winter is over.

Third, Noah has been having this weird obsession/control…not sure what it is. It is much more apparent at school, but I have seen it a few times at home. I received two notes sent home about it and was informed about it by his teacher a couple of weeks ago, as well. I’m not really sure how to explain it, but here are a couple examples.

Example 1: Noah was supposed to walk to the gym, but refused. The teacher’s aide carried him kicking and screaming to the gym. Once there, Noah beat on the gym doors wanting to go back to the classroom so that he could walk to the gym without being carried.

Example 2: Noah was asked to throw his lunch tray in the garbage. When he refused, his teacher walked him over to the garbage can and made him throw his tray away. Noah then wanted to dig his tray out of the garbage so that he could throw it away himself.


Isn’t that weird? Not sure what to make of this. If anybody has any ideas, let me know. I’m at a loss on this one. (Of course I’m also wondering where his 1:1 aide was during these incidents, since he wasn’t with her during any of them. What’s a 1:1 aide for?)

I’ve rambled far too long and need to get my Cars fanatic to turn off the movie and go to bed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chelli

Thanks for stopping by my blog tonight. I appreciated your comment.

I have a couple of thoughts on this post. One, I wonder if the white snow bothers Noah. I've heard that some kids are just really, really bothered by white. It's blinding to them. I wonder if you were to put sunglasses on him, would that help.

Also, the incidents you described with walking to the gym and with the lunch tray -well, those sound exactly like my neurotypical 3 yr old daughter. Seriously, she does that sort of thing to me all the time. I don't have a solution for it, other than I just am fairly firm and don't let her redo stuff. Mostly. Sometimes I do if it seems like I misunderstood her intentions.

Noah sounds like a pretty cute and sweet little boy. I am going to read around your blog a little bit to get to know him better.

kathleen said...

Hi Chelli..I was going to say the same thing about the snow and whiteness. As for the gym..one of my boys especially when he was going through ear infections-hated the gym. The sound in there is amplified and it overwhelmed him.
Your little guy is having a tough winter season isn't he :( I hope that he starts feeling 100% better soon...Don't fret too much...I made out 56 Valentines for 3 of my kids last week. You will have plenty more valentines to look forward to!

Anonymous said...

“scoove it”

Love it!

Does he have a good OT to help work through some of the sensory stuff (the water and snow?)

Amanda said...

Chelli have you found Lydia? She writes a blog called autisticspeaks.blogspot.com. It's really good and you can pick up some great insights. She recently posted about her own bathing issues so could be worth a look