Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Second Opinion

Just a few days after Noah's appointment in Akron, we received a call from the Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders in Westerville. We had been waiting for an evaluation appointment with them since May. I couldn't believe that we finally heard from them. We decided that we would go ahead and get a second opinion since Noah's insurance would cover the cost. This appointment was very different from the appointment in Akron. We went down there and met with a child psychologist, a developmental behavior pediatrician, a case worker, and a psychometrician. They observed Noah, did a physical, interviewed me and daddy, and many other things. The appointment lasted about 2 1/2 hours.

The doctors there basically came to the same conclusion that Akron did, but with one difference. The only difference is that the pediatrician in Westerville doesn't think that it is necessary to sedate Noah and do an MRI unless we want them to. I was never really comfortable with having the MRI anyways, so I am happy about that. They scheduled Noah for an appointment on November 24th for a 4-hour testing/evaluation session to determine his strengths/weaknesses and cognitive level. Let me say that this place was great! I loved everyone there. We were given so much information and helpful advice.

I think that I have finally come to grips with the fact that Noah has Autism. Up until now, I have talked about it as if it were somebody else's child. Almost as if I was on the outside watching it happen. After two evaluations, numerous doctors and therapists, and my own observations, there is no doubt that Noah is autistic. Now I need to focus on what can be done to help him achieve what he is capable of achieving.

1 comment:

kathleen said...

It is hard in the beginning..really hard. The way that you speak about your son though..it's lovely. He will continue to develop and grow-because he has you. His pictures are adorable. What a huggable boy you have! :)